Monday 21 August 2017

A Short Break In Wales

As we're still waiting for our wedding photographs to be ready, I thought I'd start at the end: with our post-wedding trip to Wales. Unfortunately, we were both in the opening stages of the virus that's been kicking my ass for the past couple of weeks, so it wasn't quite the romantic mini-break we'd envisaged. Rather less champagne-on-the-veranda and more catarrh-on-the-sofa, but we still had a lovely time.

We started off with a night in Hay-On-Wye, Wales' official book town and somewhere I always enjoy visiting. We'd booked into Radnor House B&B and would heartily recommend it: a reasonable price for an insanely luxurious room in the centre of Hay, and the most incredible breakfast (French toast for me, a vegan fry-up for Thomas).
We spent some time on Thursday afternoon and again on Friday morning pootling around the town, popping into all of the (many) bookshops and picking up some bargains. I usually visit Hay during the festival, and it's always nice to see the town a little calmer and quieter (albeit lacking the exciting buzz of festival time). 

Having struggled to find vegan options for Thomas on Thursday, it was a relief to stumble upon the marvellous vintage shop/independent makers' marketplace/vegetarian cafe/venue space at The Old Electric Shop. Fully fed and watered, we set off to drive to our final destination on the west coast of Wales.
A three hour drive later and we were in Aberporth. I'd read about Wendy, the vintage train carriage-cum-holiday let located on the cliffs at Aberporth clifftop, years ago on Gemma's blog and had bookmarked it because I knew train-mad Thomas would love it. By some strange quirk of fate, the usually fully-booked carriage happened to have two nights free the weekend after the wedding: it was meant to be!
Wendy was just as charming as I'd expected, full of cute vintage details that had Thomas fantasising about living in a train carriage full-time (two days later and the reality of being a 6'4" man in a small space had sunk in and he wasn't so keen!).

After a week of rain, Saturday dawned bright and sunny and we took advantage of the weather to walk the coastal path - which runs directly in front of Wendy - to the nearby village of Tresaith for lunch at The Ship Inn. The coast of west Wales is just stunning, reminiscent of Cornwall at its finest (although with significantly fewer crowds), and the stretch from Aberporth to Tresaith shows it off at its best. After a pint or two, we retreated back to Wendy and spent the afternoon reading some of our Hay book haul, log burner lit for extra cosiness.

It was a lovely few days away and just what we needed after the wedding. And although it's a shame neither of us were well, it does give us a good excuse for another honeymoon!

15 comments:

  1. Books and trains, what an awesome honeymoon! I love Wales, it's so beautiful in the sunshine. Hope you're both feeling better now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realised just how long a drive it would be to get there, but it was SO beautiful once we did!

      Delete
  2. This looks positively idyllic. Well, minus the catarrh-on-the-sofa. I have always wanted to go to Hay. Maybe one of these days I will make it. And that train carriage holiday let is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would just love Hay - ALL of the bookshops!

      Delete
  3. Ah looks so nice! Bookmarking this for a possible retreat :)
    I hope you're both feeling better now, what a shame both of you were feeling unwell :(
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect choice of location. Hay's such a wonderful town, especially outside of the Festival, and I have now added Aberporth to my list of places to visit as it looks incredible. I do hope you're both recovered now; being ill while you're away is no fun. Though, as you say, an excuse for a second honeymoon is always welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aberporth and the coast around it were just lovely, very friendly too. I could have done without the drive though - Welsh A roads are so twisty and turny!

      Delete
  5. Glad you made the best of it despite feeling like shite. That train carriage looks amazing! Mr P's learning to drive so I'm bookmarking UK locations for weekend breaks (if he passes, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner is just looking at starting driving lessons so we can share the driving on these long trips, which will be very welcome. It does really free you up for UK travel if you have access to a vehicle.

      Delete
  6. Staying in a train carriage sounds awesome! The Husband and I would be totally up for that. And look at that blue sky and sea, what a gorgeous place for some quality nature time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame you were unwell but it looks like you made the best of it. What lovely places to stay, especially that train carriage! I've never been to Hay on Wye but I would really love to visit.

    If I haven't already said it (I can't remember, life has been hectic!), congratulations on the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Hay on Wye, although always leave with a much lighter purse!

    That train carriage looks AMAZING. I'm definitely going to do some research into staying in less conventional accommodation next time we go away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore Hay! We always stay in this lovely Organic place called Racquety Lodge when we stay there but I'll give this a go if it is not available! The train carriages sound ridiculously exciting!! I would love to go there.
    Sorry you were ill but as you say- excuse to go again!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hay-on-Wye has been on my list for a long time, even more so after reading this! It sounds like you had a wonderful break, apart from feeling so grim...but as you say, that definitely means you deserve a second honeymoon when you're both feeling right as rain! x

    ReplyDelete